MM(19) sorted out his housing, as I expected he probably would. He was just being a little too *chill* for my liking. While I worked on the backup plans for the backup plans. But he had a few irons in the fire and I was giving it some time before I dove in too deep. So it ended up taking very little time or mental energy on my part.
He found this rental the day after the RA position news. But then he hit a red tape brick wall with the management company. It took about 10 days but they finally let him apply. (In the interim, I had given up on this option.) He let me know Friday night that he had signed the lease.
It was the Goldilocks option, as to price. Not the most ideal situation overall. But certainly could be worse. Was otherwise considering a $500/month "job on campus" living option (that was problematic on multiple fronts) and a $1,500/month room. Ended up in the middle. He won't need a car, and it has a kitchen. So these are all pluses. I found a rental last week and then later realized it didn't even have a kitchen. So I started wondering if that might be a sacrifice (which could end up being costly re: food costs). But being able to not have a car is probably the biggest savings factor.
Would prefer to just live on campus another year, but they have very few spots for juniors/seniors. I mean like 500 spots for 10,000 students? Something like that. & they maybe also reserve some housing for transfer students.
Wait. Does this mean we are done saving for MM(19)'s college!? With this rent locked in and knowing it will be so much easier the following year (with an earlier start)?
My first instinct is that I want to keep saving for the "crap happens" factor. The obvious that comes to mind is if we do get stuck with this (whole) lease for any long period of time. If the roommate backs out for any reason. Stuff like that. In addition to all the other infinite ways that crap can happen.
When this day did come, I thought I may take a breather before circling to finish off DL(17)'s college costs. But now that I am here... I will just keep saving, for whatever kid might need it. I just want to be *done* so that we can move on to other things. I think DL(17)'s college costs are well covered. But he is also my wildcard. More likely to take longer, to drastically change plans later (finish school out of state), to drop out. I don't know.
So my first instinct is to just keep saving for whoever needs it.
Then I remembered that MM(19) has a whole other round of ortho, plus surgery. Should probably keep saving for that. It's not college, but it's one last thing before he is self sufficient. It kind of gets wrapped up in this ball of final costs (mostly college) before we are done financially supporting him.
I will ponder all this more as I formulate 2024 goals in December. If it wasn't for the whole ortho factor, I'd probably just start a "for whoever needs it" college top off fund. But I expect I will probably be leaning towards some more MM(19) savings first.
Not ready to call it yet, but getting very close!